- Village Social Media Policy
Village Social Media Policy
Moderation of Third Party Content
The purpose of the Village of Grayslake’s social media sites is to provide information to the community. The Village of Grayslake and its staff are the sole administrators of these sites.
Non-Public Forum: The Village’s social media accounts on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram are non-public forums intended for use as a communication tool to post and share Village news, information, services, and events in accordance with this policy. Accordingly, only authorized Village personnel may post content to the Village’s social media accounts. Followers and fans of these pages can access current events, news and information that may affect the Village of Grayslake and surrounding areas.
Designation of Limited Public Forums and Content Restrictions: To the extent that the Village elects to configure any element of social media sites to allow for public posting or commentary, then such elements shall be designated as limited public forums for discussion of limited topics in accordance with this policy. All public posts must be topically related to Village news, services, events, or messages and comments must be topically related to the original information or subject being commented on. Public posts and comments may not include any of the prohibited content listed below. The Village reserves the right to restrict or remove any content that is deemed a violation of this policy or any applicable law or for reasons relating to the efficient management of the sites in question. However, content that conforms with this policy and the content restrictions set forth herein will not be removed solely on the basis of the viewpoint expressed by the poster. All removed content shall be retained pursuant to the Village’s records retention schedule.
Village social media account content and comments containing any of the following forms of content shall not be allowed for posting and shall be removed:
- Profane language or content.
- Content that promotes, fosters, or perpetuates discrimination on the basis of race, religion, gender, marital status, familial status, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, source of income, or other protected status under applicable law.
- Inappropriate sexual content or links to such content.
- Solicitations of commerce.
- Conduct or encouragement of illegal activity.
- Information that may compromise the safety and/or security of the public or public systems.
- Content that includes unlawful harassment or threats of violence.
- Comments that are not topically related or out of context.
- Plagiarized material or content that violates intellectual property rights or other legal rights of any other party.
- Content that defames any person, group, or organization.
- Slanderous, libelous, malicious, offensive, threatening, profane, uncivil, or insulting language. References to the personality of individuals or personal attacks, insults, or threats will not be permitted.
- Content that violates any law or regulation.
- Political campaign links or organized political activity.
- Private or personal material published without consent, including personal identifiers for any person such as home address, phone number, social security number, or other sensitive information.
The Village of Grayslake disclaims any and all responsibility and liability for any material or content that is deemed inappropriate. The Village of Grayslake shall make efforts to remove said matter in an expeditious or otherwise timely manner, but disclaims liability if for any delays in its efforts to remove said materials.
The Village of Grayslake does not endorse, support, sanction, encourage, verify or agree with third party comments, messages, posts, opinions, advertisements, videos, promoted content, external hyperlinks, linked websites (or information, products or services contained therein), statements, commercial products, processes or services posted on any Village of Grayslake social media site. Facebook, Twitter and Instagram pages are privately owned and operated sites and privacy terms of each respective site apply. The Village of Grayslake does not guarantee the accuracy or reliability of any third-party links. The Village of Grayslake reserves the right to remove any content or comment that is prohibited by this social media policy.